Don’t Miss Queen of Katwe coming this month, read below!
Home audiences will cheer for Disney’s Queen of Katwe, which has earned widespread critical acclaim. Based on the vibrant true story of a young girl (Madina Nalwanga) from the streets of Uganda whose world changes when she is introduced to the game of chess, and, as a result of the support she receives from her family and community, is instilled with the confidence and determination she needs to pursue her dream of becoming an international chess champion. It is a remarkable story of perseverance against all odds that will leave viewers feeling humbled and inspired. According to director Mira Nair, “The triumph of the human spirit is not to weep for what we don’t have but to focus on what we do have and allow that to take us to a place we never imagined possible.” Disney’s heartwarming and triumphant tale arrives home on Digital HD on Jan. 10 and Blu-ray™ on Jan. 31
Go behind-the-scenes with the film’s extraordinary cast and the real people behind the inspiring true story!
BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 18, 2016 — Home audiences will cheer for Disney’s “Queen of Katwe,” the inspirational journey of a young girl from the streets of Uganda to world-class chess player, which has earned widespread critical acclaim, including a 93% Certified Fresh critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes. The triumphant film, which is based on a true story, arrives home on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) on Jan. 10 and on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand on Jan. 31.
The in-home release of “Queen of Katwe” takes viewers behind-the-scenes with filmmakers, as well as the cast and their real-life counterparts, through extensive bonus features, including a three-part documentary highlighting the amazing personal stories behind the film; audio commentary by director Mira Nair (“Salaam Bombay!,” “Mississippi Masala,” “Monsoon Wedding”); a short film by Nair depicting the life of Robert Katende; in-studio access to 15-time GRAMMY® Award-winning recording artist Alicia Keys during the creation of her new original song “Back to Life;” deleted scenes; and more.
“Queen of Katwe” is based on the vibrant true story of a young girl (Madina Nalwanga) from the streets of Uganda whose world changes when she is introduced to the game of chess, and, as a result of the support she receives from her family and community, is instilled with the confidence and determination she needs to pursue her dream of becoming an international chess champion. It is a remarkable story of perseverance against all odds that will leave viewers feeling humbled and inspired. According to director Mira Nair, “The triumph of the human spirit is not to weep for what we don’t have but to focus on what we do have and allow that to take us to a place we never imagined possible.”
The film stars David Oyelowo, Golden Globe® nominated for his portrayal of Martin Luther King Jr. in “Selma,” as dedicated chess mentor Robert Katende; Lupita Nyong’o, who earned worldwide acclaim with her Oscar®-winning performance in “12 Years a Slave,” as fiercely determined mother Harriet; and luminous newcomer Madina Nalwanga as chess champion Phiona Mutesi.
Directed by Mira Nair from a screenplay by William Wheeler, “Queen of Katwe” is produced by Lydia Dean Pilcher, p.g.a., and John Carls, p.g.a., with Will Weiske and Troy Buder serving as executive producers. The film features a cutting-edge Afrobeat soundtrack curated by the Ugandan rapper Young Cardamom (aka Zohran Kwame Mamdani); Alex Heffes’ buoyant orchestral score highlighting traditional Ugandan instruments; and “Back to Life,” performed by Alicia Keys, written by Keys, Carlo Montagnese and Billy Walsh, and produced by Illangelo and Keys.
Bonus features include*:
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- Queen Of Katwe: Their Story – Discover the stories behind the people who came together to bring the film to life, and how they reflect the vibrant community, culture, and spirit it celebrates.
- A Fork, A Spoon & A Knight – Director Mira Nair’s short film about Robert Katende, a boy who grows up to transform a Ugandan city into a globally renowned chess sanctuary.
- In The Studio With Alicia Keys – Go behind-the-scenes with Alicia Keys for an inspiring look at the song’s recording.
- Alicia Keys “Back To Life” Lyric Video – Sing along with on-screen lyrics.
- Young Cardamom & HAB “#1 Spice” Music Video – The Ugandan hip-hop duo bring the flavor in a music video directed by Mira Nair.
- Audio Commentary – With Director Mira Nair.
- Deleted Scenes (8) – With Introductions by Director Mira Nair.
- Graduation – Robert is alone at his graduation.
- Job Application – Robert checks in on the status of his job application.
- Dancing and Rent – Phiona joins in dancing with local girls before the landlady pulls her away.
- Entering the Hospital – Harriet tries to look presentable as they rush Brian to the hospital.
- Escape from the Hospital – The family sneaks out of the hospital.
- They Can’t Go to Budo – Robert second-guesses taking the kids to the competition at King’s College Budo.
- Flood (Extended Scene) – A nearly 7-minute scene before, during and after the house is flooded.
- Phiona’s Chess Club – Phiona comes full circle as she teaches a little boy the same lessons Robert taught her in chess club.
- Audio Commentary
- Alicia Keys “Back to Life” Lyric Video
- Young Cardamom & HAB “#1 Spice” Music Video
*Bonus features may vary by retailer
Product SKUs: Digital HD/SD, Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray, DVD & Digital Copy),
Disney Movies Anywhere, DVD and On-Demand
Feature Run Time: Approximately 145 minutes
U.S. Rating: PG (bonus features are not rated)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 (16×9)
Audio: Blu-ray = English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital,
Latin Spanish/French 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD = English, Latin Spanish & French 5.1 Dolby, English DVS 2.0 Dolby
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE (DMA):
Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) is an engaging and family-friendly cloud-based digital movie service that makes it easy to buy Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars movies once and watch them anywhere. Viewers can enjoy their digital movies from the comfort of their living room and across multiple mobile platforms by simply adding the free DMA app or channel to their devices, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android mobile phones and tablets, Android TV, Amazon’s Fire tablets, Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Roku, and Xbox 360, and connecting to their DMA account with participating providers including iTunes, Amazon Video, VUDU, Google Play, Microsoft Movies & TV and Fios by Verizon. DMA users can explore Disney’s library of over 450 digital movies, discover hours of new and exclusive short-form content, redeem Digital Movie codes found in eligible Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars product, and earn Disney Movie Rewards points with every digital purchase.
ABOUT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios; Disneynature; Marvel Studios; Lucasfilm; and Touchstone Pictures. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!.